22 May 2009

edinburgh, scotland

sometimes i arrive in a place and feel empty. dark. overcome by solitude and loneliness even when surrounded by thousands.

others, though, are opposite.

upon arrival to edinburgh, scotland, only feelings of hope.
this place is rich in history. each building dating back centuries.
the people move quickly, but there is a sense of community.
condensed city. almost like portland. architecture pulling me in.
scottish tourists shops and charity shops and coffee and tea.

traditional and beautiful.
but words are only so much.
only so powerful.

i am feeling lonely often, but after a kind of dark week, i feel mostly restored.
Last weekend we ventured to the spiritual island of Iona. Incredibly beautiful. And absolutely brilliant.
I returned though to a city in Scotland called Stirling. Really beautiful. But also very exhausted from the constant movement from city to city, place to place, adjustment to adjustment.

Arrival to Edinburgh seems absolutely grand. Because Rachel and I plan on staying here for over 10 days. We are hoping to find a place to stay and we will have a home for a good amount of time.

How eager I am for Belfast.

How much I miss you.

How grateful I am for the paradox of solitude... lonely and beautiful. Painful and Joyful.

-Megh

2 comments:

LindsayY said...

Keep enjoying your adventures, my friend! :) Can't wait to see pictures!

kray said...

Meghan!

I'm jealous, Edinburgh is where Irv is either right now or he was for a while and he loves it. Anything Irv loves, I love.

I miss you, I adore you and I can't wait to see you for the start of our... last year.

You're beautiful.